Skip to main content

New ask Hacker News story: Ask HN: Talking in Corporate Meetings

Ask HN: Talking in Corporate Meetings
8 by rainyMammoth | 4 comments on Hacker News.
I work for one of the big engineering companies in the Bay Area (similar to FAANG). I am an engineer but interact with a lot of teams. As such I end up joining a lot of meetings with 10/15 people, sometimes even more. Those meetings are extremely difficult for me. It seems that everyone is trying to talk to sound interesting, adding very little actual information. Extrovert people like to jump on every single small flow so they can show off that it's an issue. My feelings are that meetings are a way for people to assert themselves more than a way to exchange actual information. As I'm usually not the one in charge of the meeting I'm always struggling between staying fully silent and talking up and getting into this combative mode. I'm always doubting what I have to say. I'm usually more introvert and shy than most people speaking up which makes it really difficult sometimes. For other introverts, how do you speak up in meetings?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do Supermodels Age, or Just Get Airbrushed?

By Vanessa Friedman via NYT Style https://ift.tt/FygKCLW

FOX NEWS: Biden and Trump campaign hard in the final sprint

"Biden and Trump campaign hard in the final sprint" via FOX NEWS https://ift.tt/3oMYFNN